Books written by Nina van Gorkom
- The Buddha’s Path An Introduction to the doctrine of Theravada Buddhism for those who have no previous knowledge. The four noble Truths - suffering - the origin of suffering - the cessation of suffering -and the way leading to the end of suffering - are explained as a philosophy and a practical guide which can be followed in today’s world.
- Buddhism in Daily Life A general introduction to the main ideas of Theravada Buddhism.The purpose of this book is to help the reader gain insight into the Buddhist scriptures and the way in which the teachings can be used to benefit both ourselves and others in everyday life.
Abhidhamma in Daily Life is an exposition of absolute realities in detail. Abhidhamma means higher doctrine and the book’s purpose is to encourage the right application of Buddhism in order to eradicate wrong view and eventually all defilements.
- Cetasikas Cetasika means ‘belonging to the mind’. It is a mental factor which accompanies consciousness (citta) and experiences an object. There are 52 cetasikas. This book gives an outline of each of these 52 cetasikas and shows the relationship they have with each other.
The Buddhist Teaching on Physical Phenomena A general introduction to physical phenomena and the way they are related to each other and to mental phenomena. The purpose of this book is to show that the study of both mental phenomena and physical phenomena is indispensable for the development of the eightfold Path.
The Conditionality of Life This book is an introduction to the seventh book of the Abhidhamma, that deals with the conditionality of life. It explains the deep underlying motives for all actions through body, speech and mind and shows that these are dependent on conditions and cannot be controlled by a ‘self’. This book is suitable for those who have already made a study of the Buddha’s teachings.
- Letters on Vipassanā A compilation of letters discussing the development of vipassanā, the understanding of the present moment, in daily life. Contains over 40 quotes from the original scriptures and commentaries.
Books translated by Nina van Gorkom
- A Survey of Paramattha Dhammas by Sujin Boriharnwanaket. A Survey of Paramattha Dhammas is a guide to the development of the Buddha’s path of wisdom, covering all aspects of human life and human behaviour, good and bad. This study explains that right understanding is indispensable for mental development, the development of calm as well as the development of insight.
- The Perfections Leading to Enlightenment by Sujin Boriharnwanaket. The Perfections is a study of the ten good qualities: generosity, morality, renunciation, wisdom, energy, patience, truthfulness, determination, loving-kindness, and equanimity.